Senate Bill (SB) 1 Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017
Local Streets and Roads Program (LSRP)
SB 1 dedicated approximately $1.5 billion per year in new formula revenues apportioned by the State Controller (Controller) to cities and counties for basic road maintenance, rehabilitation, and critical safety projects on the local streets and roads system. Read more...
To be eligible to receive funding from the Controller, each year, cities and counties must submit a proposed project list adopted at a regular meeting by their board or council that is then submitted to the California Transportation Commission (Commission). Once reviewed and adopted by the Commission, the list of eligible cities and counties to receive funding is sent to the Controller to begin the apportionment process for that fiscal year.
In an effort to promote accountability and transparency in accordance with SB 1, the proposed project lists submitted by the cities and counties for funding eligibility are published on both this webpage and the Rebuilding California website. In addition to the lists, notices to adopt for funding eligibility and all other program related matters requiring Commission action are published on the Commission's website and conducted at a public meetings.
Cities and counties must provide an Annual Project Expenditure Report to the Commission for each year in which program funding was received and expended. The Commission will then report the information collected in its Annual Report to the California Legislature that is due December 15, each year. The Annual Project Expenditure Report outcomes will also be published on the Commission’s website.
During the first year in which the Local Streets and Roads Funding Program received new SB 1 revenue, 537 cities and counties received eligibility to receive their share of roughly $386 million to be distributed by formula and disbursed by the Controller on a monthly basis. Roughly 4,096 local streets and roads projects were proposed that ranged from road maintenance and repair, to pre-construction efforts, and additional public works operational needs.
SB 1 created new funding that is available to cities and counties for basic road maintenance, rehabilitation, and critical safety projects. As a result of this new revenue, communities can anticipate seeing more potholes filled, pavement repaired, lanes restriped, and crosswalks and sidewalks brought up to code.
Current Program Cycle
- Final Adopted Reporting Guidelines: 2019 LSRP Reporting Guidelines - August 15, 2018
- Adopted: FY 2018-19 Subsequent List of Eligible Cities and Counties - August 15, 2018
- Draft: FY 2018-19 County-Submitted Proposed Project List - June 15, 2018
- Draft: FY 2018-19 City-Submitted Proposed Project List - June 15, 2018
|Project Lists due to Commission||May 1st each year|
|Commission Adopts Initial List of Eligible Cities and Counties||June Commission Meeting each year|
|Commission Submits Initial List to Controller||No later than June 30th each year|
|Subsequent Eligibility Project Lists due to Commission||August 1st each year (if needed)|
|Commission Adopts Subsequent List of Eligible Cities and Counties||August Commission Meeting each year (if needed)|
|Commission Submits Subsequent List to Controller||No later than August 31st each year (if needed)|
|Annual Reporting of Fiscal Year Expenditures due to Commission||October 1st each year|
|Informational Update to Commission||December Commission Meeting each year|
- Statutory Language: Streets and Highway Code Section 2030
- Local Streets and Roads Funding Program Webinar July 24-27, 2018 – PowerPoint Presentation
- July 27, 2018 Webinar Registration Flyer (For MPO & RTPA Representatives) - June 18, 2018
- July 24-25, 2018 Webinar Registration Flyer (For City and County Representatives) - June 17, 2018
- Final Adopted Program Guidelines: 2018 LSRP Reporting Guidelines - March 21, 2018
- FY 2017-18 Subsequent Report of Eligible Cities and Counties – February 6, 2018
- City - Submitted LSRP Projects as of 01-31-18 - January 31, 2018
- County - Submitted LSRP Projects as of 01-31-18 - January 31, 2018
- FY 2017-18 Initial Report of Eligible Cities and Counties – December 14, 2017
- Amended Reporting Guidelines: Local Streets and Roads Funding Annual Reporting Final Amended Guidelines - October 18, 2017
CTC LSRP Contact
For additional information on the Local Streets and Roads Program, please contact: