Senate Bill (SB) 1 Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017
Solutions for Congested Corridors Program (SCCP)
The purpose of the Solutions for Congested Corridors Program is to provide funding to achieve a balanced set of transportation, environmental, and community access improvements to reduce congestion throughout the state.
This statewide, competitive program makes $250 million available annually for projects that implement specific transportation performance improvements and are part of a comprehensive corridor plan by providing more transportation choices while preserving the character of local communities and creating opportunities for neighborhood enhancement. Read more...
Regional transportation planning agencies, county transportation commissions and Caltrans are eligible to apply for program funds through the nomination of projects. All projects nominated must be identified in a currently adopted regional transportation plan and an existing comprehensive corridor plan. The Commission is required to score and select submitted applications based on the following criteria:
- Economic development, job creation and retention;
- Air pollution and greenhouse gas emission reductions;
- Efficient land use;
- Level of matching funds; and
- The ability to complete the project in a timely manner.
SB 1 requires preference to be given to comprehensive corridor plans that demonstrate collaboration between Caltrans and local or regional partners, reflecting a comprehensive planning approach. No more than half the available funding each year can be awarded to projects nominated exclusively by Caltrans.
Eligible project elements within the corridor plans may include improvements to state highways, local streets and roads, rail facilities, public transit facilities, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and restoration or preservation work that protects critical local habitat or open space. Program funds cannot be used to construct general purpose lanes on a state highway. Capacity increasing projects on the state highway system are restricted to high-occupancy vehicle lanes, managed lanes, and other non-general purpose lane improvements for safety and/or operational improvements for all modes of travel. Examples are auxiliary lanes, trucks climbing lanes, or dedicated bicycle lanes.
The Commission adopted guidelines for the Solutions for Congested Corridors Program on December 6, 2017. The guidelines were created in consultation with the California Air Resources Board, regional transportation planning agencies, and other transportation stakeholder groups. Prior to adoption of the guidelines, the Commission conducted numerous public workshops throughout the state to solicit input and feedback. This included two hearings as required by SB 1, one in northern California and one in southern California.
The Commission adopted the program of projects of the first cycle, the 2018 Solutions for Congested Corridors Program, on May 16, 2018.
The Solutions for Congested Corridors Program funds projects designed to reduce congestion in highly traveled and highly congested corridors through performance improvements that balance transportation improvements, community impacts, and that provide environmental benefits.
Comprehensive Multimodal Corridor Plan Guidelines
The Commission developed Comprehensive Multimodal Corridor Plan Guidelines (plan guidelines) to provide guidance to eligible program applicants regarding the statutory requirements for comprehensive corridor plans utilized by agencies to apply for funding through the Congested Corridors Program. Additional information is available at the link below:
Current Program Cycle
- Final Adopted Program Guidelines: 2018 SCCP Guidelines and Adopting Resolution G-17-36 - December 6, 2017
- Final Adopted Project List: 2018 Amended Solutions for Congested Corridors Program - December 5, 2018
- Statutory Language: Streets and Highway Code Section 2390
- Draft Comprehensive Multimodal Corridor Plan Guidelines (August 13)
- Agenda: Solutions for Congested Corridors Guideline Development Workshop - Sacramento - September 25, 2017
- Discussion Draft Guidelines: Discussion Draft Guidelines for the Solutions for Congested Corridors Program - September 21, 2017
- Agenda: Solutions for Congested Corridors Program Guideline Development Workshop - Oakland - August 7, 2017
- Presentation: Solutions for Congested Corridors Program Guideline Development Workshop - Oakland - August 7, 2017
- Criteria Weighting: Solutions for Congested Corridors Program Guideline Development Workshop - Oakland - August 7, 2017
- Presentation: Solutions for Congested Corridors Program Guideline Development Workshop - Los Angeles - July 21, 2017
- Agenda and Meeting Materials: Solutions for Congested Corridors Program Guideline Development Workshop - Sacramento - June 28, 2017
- 2018 Adopted Project List - May 16, 2018
- Staff Recommendations - April 25, 2018
- Project Application Log with Applications Linked - February 28, 2018
- Proposed Guidelines: Proposed 2018 SCCP Guidelines and Adopting Resolution G-17-36 - December 6, 2017
- Draft Guidelines: Draft Guidelines for the Solutions for Congested Corridors Program - October 30, 2017
- Adopted Guidelines: Letter of No Prejudice (LONP) Guidelines - October 18, 2017
- Draft Guidelines: Draft Guidelines for the Solutions for Congested Corridors Program - October 6, 2017
CTC SCCP Contact
For additional information on the Solutions for Congested Corridors Program, please contact: