Accountability and Reform Measures
SB 1 includes a number of reforms:
- Requires the Commission to allocate Caltrans' Capital Outlay Support (preconstruction) for SHOPP projects, consistent with the Commission’s recommendation in the 2016 Annual Report.
- Requires the newly created Independent Office of Audits & Investigations within Caltrans to ensure the Administration, Legislature, and Commission are fully informed concerning fraud, improper activities or other serious abuses or deficiencies related to the expenditure of transportation funds or administration of Caltrans’ programs and operations.
- Creates an Advance Mitigation program to accelerate project delivery while meeting applicable environmental requirements, and funds the program with an annual set aside of $30 million for the next four years from the annual appropriations for the STIP and the SHOPP.
Requires Caltrans to include in their Transportation Asset Management Plan the condition targets for various assets that are included in the bill, and requires the Commission to hold Caltrans accountable to achieving those targets through regular reporting. These targets include:
- 98 percent of pavement in good or fair condition
- 90 percent of culverts in good or fair condition
- 90 percent of transportation management system units in good condition
- 500 or more bridges fixed
- Requires the Commission to hold accountable both Caltrans and the cities/counties receiving road repair and maintenance funding through annual reporting.
- Requires Caltrans to implement efficiency measures to generate savings (at least $100 million each year) to invest in maintenance and rehabilitation of the state highway system, and to report annually to the Commission the savings it achieves.
- Sunsets the Traffic Congestion Relief Program.
CTC SB 1 Accountability and Transparency Information
Accountability and Transparency Guidelines
The California Transportation Commission (CTC) makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of a document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2162, or CTC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accountability and Transparency Reports
SB 1 also places upon the Commission the responsibility to track the performance of all SB 1 funded programs under its purview and report to the public how well recipients of SB 1 funds are delivering on promises made to the taxpayers.
Technical Performance Measurement Methodology Guidebook
December 13(T), 2022
SB 1 Accountability and Transparency Guidelines Workshop
1:00pm - 4:00pm
- 12/13: Save the date (PDF)
- 12/13: Agenda (PDF)
- 12/13: Discussion Draft (PDF)
- 12/13: Link to Register to Attend (GoToWebinar)
- 12/13: Workshop Recording (YouTube)
October 4(T), 2022
Senate Bill 1 (SB 1) Accountability and Transparency Guideline Update Workshop
1:00pm - 4:00pm
- 10/04: Workshop Agenda (PDF)
- 10/04: Accountability and Transparency Guideline Update (PDF)
- 10/04: Workshop Recording (YouTube)
August 23(T), 2022
SB 1 Accountability and Transparency Guideline Update Workshop
1:00pm - 4:00pm
- Revised Final Amended Guidelines and Amending Resolution: Senate Bill 1 Accountability and Transparency Guidelines (PDF) - August 15, 2018
- Draft Senate Bill 1 Accountability and Transparency Guidelines (PDF) - January 25, 2023