Trade Corridor Enhancement Program (TCEP)
The purpose of the Trade Corridor Enhancement Program is to provide funding for infrastructure improvements on federally designated Trade Corridors of National and Regional Significance, on California's portion of the National Highway Freight Network, as identified in California Freight Mobility Plan, and along other corridors that have a high volume of freight movement. The Trade Corridor Enhancement Program will also support the goals of the National Highway Freight Program, the California Freight Mobility Plan, and the guiding principles in the California Sustainable Freight Action Plan.
This statewide, competitive program will provide approximately $300 million per year in state funding and approximately $515 million in National Highway Freight Program funds, if the federal program continues under the next federal transportation act.
Eligible applicants apply for program funds through the nomination of projects. All projects nominated must be identified in a currently adopted regional transportation plan. The Commission is required to evaluate and select submitted applications based on the following criteria:
- Freight System Factors – Throughput, Velocity, and Reliability;
- Transportation System Factors – Safety, Congestion Reduction/Mitigation, Key Transportation Bottleneck Relief, Multi-Modal Strategy, Interregional Benefits, and Advanced Technology;
- Community Impact Factors – Air Quality Impact, Community Impact Mitigation, and Economic/Jobs Growth;
- The overall need, benefits, and cost of the project
- Project Readiness – ability to complete the project in a timely manner;
- Demonstration of the required 30% matching funds;
- The leveraging and coordination of funds from multiple sources; and
- Jointly nominated and/or jointly funded.
Program guidelines are created in consultation with agencies identified in Governor's Executive Order B-32-15, regional transportation planning agencies, local governments, private industry, and other advocates. Prior to adoption of the guidelines, the Commission conducts numerous public workshops throughout the state to solicit input and feedback.
For the 2018 Trade Corridor Enhancement Program, the Commission adopted guidelines on October 18, 2017, and adopted the program of projects on May 16, 2018.
The 2020 Trade Corridor Enhancement Program provides three years of programming in fiscal years 2020-21, 2021-22, and 2022-23. The Commission adopted guidelines for the 2020 program on March 25, 2020.
Due to COVID-19, the application due date for the 2020 Trade Corridor Enhancement Program has been amended to August 3, 2020.
The Trade Corridor Enhancement Program funds projects designed to move freight more efficiently on corridors with high volumes of freight. These projects increase the use of on-dock rail, improve safety by eliminating at-grade crossings, reduce impacts to surrounding communities, reduce border wait times, and increase rail capacity with double tracking.
- Agenda & Meeting Materials: Trade Corridor Enhancement Program Target Methodology Update Meeting (PDF) - February 16, 2021, 9 AM - 10:30 AM
Agenda & Meeting Materials: Trade Corridor Enhancement Program Target Methodology Update Meeting 3 (PDF) - March 9, 2021, 9 AM - 10:30 AM
- Agenda & Meeting Materials: Workshops for the 2020 SB 1 Competitive Programs (PDF) - March 12 & 21, 2019
- 2020 Trade Corridor Enhancement Program Guidelines (PDF) - Amended April 29, 2020 (Amend Program Schedule)
- Log of Project Applications Received (PDF) – August 11, 2020 (Fact sheets for each submitted project are linked within the document and are accessible by clicking on the project name)
- Amended 2020 Trade Corridor Enhancement Program of Projects (PDF) – March 2021
- Final Adopted: 2018 TCEP Guidelines and Adopting Resolution G-17-32 (PDF) - October 18, 2017
- Final Adopted: 2018 Amended Project List (PDF) - June 26, 2019
Trade Corridor Enhancement Program Target Methodology Update Meeting - January 19, 2021
- Agenda (PDF)
- Time : 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Agenda & Meeting Materials - January 7, 2020
Agenda & Meeting Materials - September 19, 2019
- Save The Date (PDF)
- Agenda (PDF)
- California Freight Mobility Plan Presentation (PDF)
- California Transportation Commission Presentation (PDF)